Troubleshooting connection problems with Wireless Range Extender
Don’t know how to setup NETGEAR Extender? To do so, you first need to connect the extender with a reliable network. Follow these steps to connect your Range Extender:
With the help of a paper clip, press the reset button on extender. Release the button after a few seconds and then extender will reboot automatically and show you only a green power light.
Connect the range extender to any computer with the help of Ethernet cable.
Open a browser on computer. In the address bar, type mywifiextnet local or https://www.mywifiext.com/ to start the www.mywifiext.net Smart Wizard installation which helps in setting up the range extender easily.
Follow the on-screen instructions. This process may take few minutes and sometimes the connection may go wrong. If it happens so then refresh the web page in order to continue setup installation wizard.
- Let the range extender detect a list of WiFi networks available in the surrounding.
- Select your home network and type the network key or password in the paraphrase box.
- Assign a name for the Range Extender and make sure the option “Use the same security and pass-phrase as those for the existing network” is checked and then click on continue.
- Wait for some time for the smart wizard to establish a connection between your range extender and router. On the next screen, check the button “I have connected to the extender network” and then continue. At last, click on the button to finish the setup installation wizard of your range extender.
- Now for the same Ethernet connection, start up a browser and check you can go to the internet. You should be online.
- After that, check out the wireless connection for the same SSID that you’d set previously on the setup installation wizard of the Extender. You should be able to access the internet again.
These are the basic and simple steps that will make your range extender work. But if it doesn’t work again, this you must try some more tricks to setup NETGEAR WiFi Extender.
The other troubleshooting tricks are as follows for how to setup a NETGEAR WiFi Extender in a proper manner:
If the extender doesn’t work by the above procedures, then try changing the “Encryption type” of your home router or modem. You should change it in such a way that the security on the router is lowered e.g. if your router has WPA-TKIP, then change it to WPA-AES. Then try the same above procedures again to make your range extender work. If the problem still exists, then keep on trying for other encryption types like WPA, WEP or no security as well making sure that both home router/modem and extender have the same encryption type. Don’t worry if your connection is disturbed or laptops do not detect SSID of router since this is just for temporary setup installation. You have to change the encryption type to its original once the range extender has successfully connected to your router.
Try working on other simple routers like D-link with or without encryption.
Try to connect to the router after you factory reset the router/modem, but it won’t be necessary if you properly follow above procedures.
So trying these steps can make your NETGEAR New Extender Setup work properly. Anyways, if you need any technical help while going through the above steps, feel free to contact us via a phone call on our toll-free number 1-855-844-0144 or chat with online technicians. Our experts will reach out to you along with a permanent solution very soon.